The American photographer, Robert A McCabe, began taking photographs in Greece in the 1950s, before mass tourism, and when the islands and villages each still maintained their unique traditional culture.
In his pictures, McCabe has captured authentic scenes of Aegean life that can never be duplicated. He also photographed many archaeological sites and has a unique record of their condition after the War.
Greece, Images of an Enchanted Land, 1955
Paris Photo FAIR
08.11.2018 – 11.11.2018
SOLO SHOW : Greece, Images of an Enchanted Land, 1955
The Photography Show, AIPAD, New York
05.04.2018 – 08.04.2018
Greece : the Innocent Years
SIT DOWN gallery
07.11.2008 – 17.01.2009
Robert McCabe was born in Chicago in 1934 and grew up in Rye, New York. His father worked for the New York Daily Mirror in New York, and as the result of his father’s gift of a Kodak Baby Brownie in 1939, McCabe started taking photographs when he was five. His first photographs of Europe were the result of a trip in 1954 to France, Italy, and Greece. He returned to Greece in 1955 and 1957 and photographed the Cyclades for National Geographic.
His published books cover subjects and locations in Greece, France, Italy, New York City, New England, Havana, China, and Antarctica. Currently Robert McCabe is working on several projects including books: Portraits of the Greeks 1954-2017; The Greeks and Their Seas (with Margarita Pournara); Mykonos in my Dreams; The Last Monk of the Strophades (with Katerina Lymperopoulou); and an exhibition and book of photographs of Greek archaeological sites in the 1950s, for the 180th anniversary of the Archaeological Society of Athens.
Robert McCabe’s photographs, primarily though not exclusively taken in Greece, have been exhibited publicly in many locations since as far back as the 1950s. His first three exhibitions were held at Princeton University in 1955 and 1956 under the auspices of the Graphic Arts Department and the Map Department.
– Archaelologial Society of Athens, Greek Archaeological sites in the 1950s.
– Annual Meeting of Archaeological Institute of America, Boston USA
– Greece Photos Exhibition.
– Cycladic Art Museum, Athens, Greece Robert McCabe. Memories and monuments of the Aegean, in parallel with the exhibition Cycladic Society 5000 years ago.
– Embassy of Greece Bruxelles, Belgium, Greece, Pathways to an Enchanted Land.
– Citronne Gallery, Athens, Greece, Wooden Boats of the Aegean, 1954-64.
– UNESCO, Paris, France, Greece, Pathways to an Enchanted Land.
– The Athens Art Gallery. Athens, Greece Photographs of Mycenae.
– Benaki Museum, Athens, Greece, Greek Seas: A Photographic Journey in Time.
– The Old School, Chora, Patmos, Greece, Patmos: Pathways of Memory.
– Museum of Asian Art, Corfu, Greece, China – Greece: Ancient Peoples, Changing Worlds.
– The Hellenic Center, London, England, Greece: Images of an Enchanted Land, 1954-1965.
– galerie SIT DOWN, Paris, France, Mois de la Photo 2008.
– Queen Sofia Spanish Institute, New York City, USA, Greece Photos
– Eynard Mansion, Cultural Center, Athens, Greece, Athens, Havana, Cuba Photos.
– Santorin, Greece, Santorini and the Aegean: the Innocent Years.
2016 Mycenae: From Myth to History, with Athina Cacouri, John Guare, Lisa French
2016 Wooden Boats of the Aegean, 1954-64 Citronne
2014 Mycenae 1954: High Noon, with Athina Cacouri, John Guare, Lisa French
2013 Patmos: Pathways of Memory
2012 China-Greece: Ancient Peoples, Changing Worlds
2011The Ramble in Central Park: A Wilderness West of Fifth
2010 DeepFreeze! A Photographer’s Antarctic Odyssey in the Year 1959
2008 Grèce: les années d’innocence
2007 On the Road with a Rollei in the ‘50s
2006 Weekend in Havana: An American Photographer in the Forbidden City
2004 Greece: Images of an Enchanted Land 1954-1965
1979 Metamorphosis, or Why I love Greece.